CreateAbility’s technical solutions integrate with a senior’s Plan of Care, help the caregiver generate documentation, and gives caregivers and loved ones, with proper permissions, warnings and alerts via their cell phone. A web-based dashboard summarizes the status (Green, Yellow, or Red) of each individual, by their specific areas of support or concern.
CreateAbility’s solutions have been effective in helping seniors with Dementia by supplementing typical caregivers with an intelligent sensor network. This network can watch over the individual 24/7, when caregivers can’t be physically present. This is accomplished by detecting the status of the home and either reminding the senior of an event via a digital picture frame, or alerting the appropriate person via text or email.
A sample of the typical activities of daily living (ADLs) that CreateAbility systems can detect and then prompt or remind an individual:
- Changing clothes (based on weather prediction)
- Nutrition, or preparing food
- Moving around OK
- Medication compliance
- Vital sign or health monitoring
- Glucose meter (blood sugar)
- Blood Pressure
- Hydration (many seniors forget to keep hydrated)
- Hygiene (showering, brushing teeth, denture care, etc)
The most common safety-related situations that CreateAbility’s systems can detect and prompt or alert:
- Stove or major appliance left on, unattended
- Not moving around by specific time
- Change in toiletry visits
- Restlessness in bed
- Change in sleep times
- Movement (outside / inside)
- Water left on
From our extensive research, we have found that there are areas where sensors are actually better at detecting than human caregivers, such as sleep patterns and nighttime bathroom visits.
Below is a high level profile of a senior with Dementia that may be an excellent prospect for CreateAbility’s solutions. The senior (is):
- Relies on others for transportation (no longer driving)
- No longer able to handle the responsibilities of a job
- No longer able to perform money management
- Possibly having problems with words in speaking or writing
- Their memory loss has disrupted their daily life
- Negatively affected their ability to plan and solve problems
- Possibly tendencies for wandering at night/Sundowner
- They may have difficulty remembering a favorite location
- Difficulty completing previously familiar tasks
- Confusion with time or place
- Trouble understanding visual images and spatial relationships
- May frequently misplace things or lose their ability to retrace steps
- Decreased or poor judgment
- Withdrawal from previously important activities
- Changes in mood and personality
Typically, seniors that need CreateAbility’s solutions have already lost their interest and ability in performing more complex tasks such as working with numbers (keeping track of monthly bills, managing a budget, balancing a checkbook, etc).
A key aspect is that even with the above issues, the senior desires to stay in their own home, or maintain as much independence as possible (if in an assisted living center). CreateAbility can give the senior this ability.